Beginning Piano Classes for ages 8 - 10: The Keyboard Prep Course
For ages 8 - 10, this class is geared exactly to the learning abilities of this age group. And, as with all levels of the Harmony Road Program, students learn music they really like to play. Keyboard Prep kids make great friends in class. Parents are encouraged to think of these classes as a two-for-one; both of you get to learn piano! We have had many parents get a great start in these classes.
1. Fun with parents and new friends-- At this age, learning piano is so much more successful when it is done with peers. And, having parents involved and participating lets them know this is not just a "kids thing".
2. One hour instead of typical 30 minute private lesson-- We keep student's attention for the full hour class. Typical private lessons for beginners are only 30 minutes and twice as expensive on average.
3. "The class goes by so fast" is a typical comment we get from kids and their parents. The frequent change of activities keeps attention and also helps reinforce skills and concepts in piano playing, music theory, ear-training, note ready and more.
4. Creative education-- A seemingly infinite variety of techniques are available to our teachers in the class: the child plays the left hand while the parent plays the right hand, some students sing the note names while others count the rhythm, parents count, children play and sing, teacher accompanies, select students use rhythm instrument for background, duets, trios, solos, -- the program uses group dynamics to teach the essentials of music and piano but in a fun, varied format.
5. Learn to listen as an ensemble player-- In private lessons, too often students stop and start. When playing in an ensemble, you learn to keep going and keep up. The music in Keyboard Prep is age appropriate so you can expect to be playing music that sounds great very soon. Getting to play and perform more complex music with other students and parents is challenging and exciting.
6. Performance confidence-- Students are never forced to play solo. But, they are welcome to perform solos in almost every class for their peers and parents if they desire (and they often do). Students gain confidence quickly and are comfortable playing for audiences.
10. You won't fall behind-- If you miss a class the home activities are automatically emailed to you. You want to try to make every class if you can. But sometimes it is not possible. So we make sure you have the activities immediately.
-- and a few more:
11. The curriculum is specifically designed for each age group.
12. Our teachers have amazing classroom management skills
13. Our teachers are thoroughly trained in the curriculum
14. The Academy has over 20 years experience teaching this program.