MUSIC IN ME Classes for 3 - 4.5 year olds
Highlights of the Music in Me Classes at the Academy of Fine Arts
While it provides a great introduction to the piano for the very young, Music in Me, also emphasizes singing development, keen and accurate ear-training, strong rhythmic development and even beginning note reading, reinforced through fun, creative activities and games. Parent participation is a fun and vital part of each class.
1. Fun with parents and new friends-- At this age, learning piano is so much more successful when it is done with other children. And, having parents involved and participating let children not this is not just a "kids thing".
2. 45 minutes instead of typical 30 minute private lesson-- Those private teachers who do teach this age group typically teach no more than 15 or 30 minute lessons. But with the Harmony Road Music in Me teaching style, we can keep kids even this young active, learning and having fun experience for the entire class.
2. "The class goes by so fast" is a typical comment we get from kids and their parents! The frequent change of activities keeps attention and also helps reinforce skills and concepts.
3. Creative education-- With Harmony Road/Music in Me teaching techniques, a wide variety of teaching tools and group dynamics are available to our teachers.: the child plays the left hand while their parent plays the right hand, some students sing solfege note names while others count the rhythm, parents count, children play and sing, teacher accompanies, select students use rhythm instrument for background, duets, trios, solos, these are just a few examples!
4. Holistic approach-- at this age, it is not just about learning to read music and play it on the piano. Children this age are still within the age where their brains can be greatly influenced and "hardwired" for music. Ear training and rhythm training tuaght in an organizes, researched way are very benefial for kids lifetong involvement with music..
5. Perfect pitch?-- We can't claim that all our young children develop perfect pitch (the ability to recognize and name individual notes by ear alone ). But, we can absolutely say that statistically, an inordinate number of students coming through Music and Me and Harmony Road do develop it. We attribute this to the 200 year old system known as "solfege", singing Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, Do. Consistently singing the names of the notes as they play or see them, associates the note names with individual pitches. Since each note name has a different vowel sound, unlike English letter names which all end in long "ee" or the stopped "eff" sound, solfege makes a much deeper impression on the student's memory.
6. Learn to listen as an ensemble player! In private lessons, too often students stop and start. When playing in than ensemble, you learn to keep going and keep up!
7. Parents learn too! The more interested the parent, the more successful the child! We encourage parents to think of these classes as their classes too! We have had countless parents turn in to great private piano students later
8. Performance confidence-- while children are never forced to play solo, they are welcome to perform solos in almost every class for their peers and parents. They get VERY used to playing for people! End of semester class recitals are open to family and friends. And, one day of recitals for the full Harmony Road Department each semester gives yet more experience.
9. You won't fall behind! If you miss a class the home activities are automatically emailed to you. You want to try to make every class if you can. But sometimes it is not possible. So we make sure you have the activities immediately.
10. Curriculum specifically designed for each age
11. Teachers with great classroom management skills
12. Teachers who can teach the curriculum
13. 23 years experience teaching this program