Piano Classes for 6 - 7 year olds: The Young Musician Course
Want to learn more about our Piano Classes for 6-7 year olds? Contact us!
4. Holistic approach-- at this age, it is not just about learning to read music and play it on the piano. Children this age are still within the age where their brains can be greatly influenced and "hardwired" for music. Ear training and rhythm training are important and the Young Musician Course takes care of that. In class, students (and parents!) sing every note they play or see. Our classes often sound like children's choirs!
5. Perfect pitch?-- We can't claim that all our young children develop perfect pitch (the ability to recognize individual notes just by ear with being told or reading them). But, we can absolutely say that statistically, far more students coming through these classes do develop it than the students who don't. We attribute this to the 200 year old system known as "solfege", singing Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, Do. Consistently singing the names of the notes as they play or see them, associates the note names with individual pitches.
6. Learn to listen as an ensemble player-- In private lessons, too often students stop and start. When playing in an ensemble, kids learn to keep going, keep up and not let mistakes throw them off. And, they learn how to listen and cooperate musically with other players
7. Parents learn too--The more interested the parent, the more successful the child! We encourage parents to think of these classes as their classes too! We have had countless parents turn in to great private piano students later
8. Performance confidence-- While children are never forced to play solo, they are welcome to perform solos in almost every class for their peers and parents. They get very used to playing for people!
9. You won't fall behind-- If you miss a class the home activities are automatically emailed to you. You want to try to make every class if you can. But sometimes it is not possible. So we make sure you have the activities immediately.
10. Curriculum specifically designed for each age
11. Teachers with great classroom management skills
12. Teachers who can teach the curriculum
13. 20 years experience teaching this program
1. Fun with parents and new friends-- As with all the Harmony Road age level programs, Young Musician for ages 6-7 takes great advantage of peer and parent support in the classroom. Kids this age need lots of positive feedback and playing and performing with friends and parents each week makes them excited about playing at home and showing their progress in class.
2. 1 hour instead of typical 30 minute private lesson-- The Harmony Road Music approach allows us to keep kids engaged for a full class hour.
2. "The class goes by so fast" is a typical comment we get from kids and their parents. The frequent change of activities keeps kid's attention and helps us reinforce skills and concepts in different ways.
3. Creative education-- Our teachers are expert classroom managers and use a variety of techniques for incorporating teamwork in class. For example, the child may play the left hand while the parent plays the right hand, or some students sing the note names while others count the rhythm, or parents count, children play and sing, teacher accompanies, select students use rhythm instruments for background, duets, trios, solos...the possibilities are endless!